Custom Search

Friday, November 9, 2007

Beware Lofty "Self" Pronouns

Avoid using "self" pronouns by themselves. It sounds lofty and distant to say:
Please submit your evaluations to myself by Friday morning.
John and myself will consider a replacement for that position.

Climb down from your high horse and use a simple pronoun instead:

Please submit your evaluations to me by Friday morning.
John and I will consider a replacement for that position.

Here is another poor example of a "self" pronoun:

This company is fortunate to have employees such as yourself who continuously strive for excellence.

A better wording would be:

This company is fortunate to have employees like you who continuously strive for excellence.


Save your "self" pronouns for these two usages:

1) Intensive: I myself would never do anything like that.

2) Reflexive: I wish I could give myself a raise.

In the coming week, I hope you will give yourself a pat on the back if you implement this usage correctly!


No comments: