Custom Search

Monday, January 7, 2008

SELF Pronouns in the Campaign--Today's Grammar Glitch

Because I have no desire to influence anyone's vote, I won't mention which candidate, but one of the participants in the Presidential debate on ABC last Saturday evening committed the "lofty self pronoun" error several times. Here are two of the "anonymous" examples I heard:

??? and YOURSELF would agree with that statement.

??? and MYSELF voted for that legislation.

Here is the reminder about this error from one of my previous posts:

Avoid using "self" pronouns by themselves. It sounds lofty and distant to say:

Please submit your evaluations to MYSELF by Friday morning.

John and MYSELF will consider a replacement for that position.

Climb down from your high horse and use a simple pronoun instead:

Please submit your evaluations to ME by Friday morning.

John and I will consider a replacement for that position.

Presidential candidates will sound more pleasing to their potential voters if they avoid this error and say:

You and ??? would agree with that statement.

??? and I voted for that legislation.

No comments: