Custom Search

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Please do not use an apostrophe before "s" in a PLURAL word.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: The apostrophe is used to show POSSESSION or CONTRACTION--not plural.

A couple Sundays ago, The Birmingham News printed a short article about using a parasol for skin protection from the sun. The first sentence read as follows:

Sun umbrella's are a, ummm, hot accessory.

While I like the idea of pretty parasols for summer sun protection, I don't like the use of "apostrophe s" to make "umbrella" plural. Who started this bad habit?

The sentence should read correctly as follows:

Sun umbrellas are a, ummm, hot accessory.

Once you get the grammar straight, I hope you will also go out and track down a pretty parasol for yourself or someone you love.

No comments: