Custom Search

Friday, October 31, 2008

Verb Confusion--One DOES, but Two DO

I just got back from running errands. My dry cleaners--like everyone else these days--has just raised prices. Someone had posted this sign on the front of the counter:

Prices does not apply to household items.

Whoops! If "prices" is plural and refers to more than one (which it does), the verb should also be plural. In this case, that would be "do."

Prices do not apply to household items.

I'd like my readers' opinions on something: I encounter these kinds of errors more and more as I travel around. Do you think I should just post them on the blog for the lessons they offer, or should I also point out the error to the "perpetrator"?

Please send me a comment with your opinion about this. Today, I was tempted to take a pen and just quietly fix the sign, but I didn't.

I'll look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: