Custom Search

Friday, November 28, 2008

Grandson Spots Double Negative at McDonald's

I hope all my regular readers had a wonderful Thanksgiving and took at least a moment to think about what you are most thankful for. Among my many blessings are nine wonderful grandchildren who continue to delight and surprise me as they grow.

One of them--a fourteen year old--brought his cell phone camera with him to dinner yesterday and told me he'd made a photo for my Grammar Glitch Central blog. Unfortunately, the picture wasn't clear enough to use, but the message is still a good one. Here is what Zach spotted on the milkshake machine at a local McDonald's:

Don't put no more ice cream in this machine.

Whoops! If you have already written "don't," which is a contraction of "do" plus "not," then you do NOT need to add another negative with "no." Simply write the following to be correct:

Don't put more ice cream in this machine.






No comments: