Custom Search

Monday, February 18, 2008

Apostrophe AFTER the "s" when the "s" is part of the plural.

Apparently I'm still on my crusade about apostrophes and plurals and possessives. This afternoon I opened an online survey form from Timberline Golf Course--one I needed to fill out in order to get a free round of golf, which sounded like a good idea to me. The survey gave a checklist of events at the course and asked that I check the ones I'd be interested in. One of them was worded this way:



Ladie's Clinics



If "lady" is made plural by changing the "y" to "i" and adding "es," the apostrophe should come AFTER the "s" to show possession by a plural noun.



After reading this, I began wondering who Ladie was and if she offered golf clinics. The choice should have read:



Ladies' Clinics



Happy apostrophe placement and happy golf!

No comments: