Custom Search

Friday, May 8, 2009

Please keep YOU, YOUR, and YOU'RE straight!

I've been busy this week preparing a workshop for a client company. One of the subjects I was asked to cover is PRONOUN CONFUSION, particularly as it relates to confusing YOU, YOUR, and YOU'RE.

Here is an example of the problem:

I am sorry I missed you call. Your right. The address in that document is incorrect.


Let's review for a minute:

YOU = subject or object pronoun:

YOU wrote the report.

I gave YOU the report.


YOUR = possessive or adjective pronoun that describes a noun:

YOUR report is on his desk.

I put YOUR memo in the file.


YOU'RE = a contraction of YOU and ARE

YOU'RE (YOU ARE) not fooling me for one minute.

I think YOU'RE (YOU ARE) about to be promoted.


The incorrect example sentences above should read as follows:

I am sorry I missed your call. You're right. The address in that document is incorrect.


I hope I have increased YOUR understanding of this pronoun usage. If YOU still have a question, YOU'RE welcome to pose a question in the comment section.



No comments: