Custom Search

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Whoops! A Poll I Run Two Years Ago??

As I've said before, I enjoy keeping up with the ProBlogger and all of his wonderful suggestions for improving my blog. I've also had a little fun catching ProBlogger with some grammar glitches. Here is a new one from a week or so ago:



This is a poll I run two years ago.



I pointed out in one of my recent blogs that it's important to be aware of the proper forms of verbs in English. They don't always follow a logical pattern, as with the forms of RUN. They are RUN, RAN, RUN. I agree that the more logical forms might be RIN, RAN, RUN (kind of like SING, SANG, SUNG or RING, RANG, RUNG), but that's not the case.



RUN is present tense, as in "I RUN errands every morning." RAN is past tense, as in "This is a poll I RAN two years ago." And RUN is ALSO the past participle that is used with helping verbs like HAVE and HAS, as in "I have RUN that marathon every year since 1990." Or, "She has RUN that marathon every year."



ProBlogger should have written his sentence this way (in the PAST tense):



This is a poll I ran two years ago.



By the way, I'd like to welcome members of the AUM Campus Police to the readship of this blog. They participated in a business writing workshop in Montgomery, Alabama, this week, and I thoroughly enjoyed working with them. Welcome! Like everyone else, they are welcome to post comments with questions for future posts.

No comments: